Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Why is rosemary .............

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> sold only in little pine needle shaped leaves? Can you buy it powdered or
> mashed? I looked, but didn't see it. I have an ulu with a cutting board
> made for it that has a depression in it matching the ulu. It works, but a
> lot goes flying.
>
> Is rosemary like bay leaf, intended to be cooked whole, then filtered out of
> the final dish?
>
> And IF I do crunch some up, and put it in the pork roast marinade (which I
> did tonight for tomorrow's meal), are the particles bitter, or do they
> dominate the taste?
>
> Tips on rosemary and its uses appreciated. No jokes about the real
> Rosemary, as I once dated her, and she was up for ANYTHING.

I buy my rosemary from Penzeys:

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...srosemary.html

I like to use the whole. The cracked is convenient when you don't want
those big needles in the finished dish, although I am happy to eat them.
Since the powdered doesn't keep that well, and I don't use it that
often, I grind the needles, whole or cracked, in my mortar and pestle.
They don't fly around if you are careful.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA