Posted to alt.food.barbecue
RegForte RegForte is offline

Default Christmas Turkey?

vex wrote:

> RegForte wrote:
> > Or Chanukah, Winter Solstice, Kwanzaa ...
> >
> > Anybody doing smoked turkey this year?

> Not this year. I'm doing a TurDucHen for the very first time and I'm
> going to roast it. If the family likes it, next year I'll smoke one.

There you go. Start simple and then build on it.

Simple is a relative term though. Turducken is a fair amount of
hand work. The mere description of it is usually enough to wow the
guests and I bet it will be a hit.

As for me, I'm going to try the precook thing I learned from Jim
Minion. I do it all the time for stuff like brisket but I've never
done it for a whole turkey.

Today I'll smoke it at about 250 F until it not quite done. Maybe
165 F in the thigh, or thereabouts. Cool it and fridge it.

Tomorrow it goes back into a 400 F oven until complete, about
175-180 F in the thigh.

--
Reg