Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin Steve Calvin is offline

Default <delurk>Turkey Breast?

ChairMan wrote:
> Goin to do a couple turkey breasts Xmas day.
> Trying to figure about how long to allow for 'em<I know until they're done>
> Goin to rub 'em down with mesquite olive oil,a little season salt, smoked
> over pecan.
> Anyone done just breasts before?
> I've followed the whole turkey thread, cook at 375, etc.
> I've done whole ones for about 6-8hrs before, even 10 for bigger ones.
> These are both about 7 lbs, so I'm figuring about 3-4 hrs.
> it's suppose to be about 30- 40 degrees here in Big D Xmas day which will I
> expect will have some effect on cook time but II figure not much
> Suggestions - tips?
>
> TIA and A Very Smokey Xmas to All

Been a while since I've done a breast but I'm thinking at those weighs
and temperatures probably not much over 2 hours to a 165 dF internal
temp. I'm sure others with more recent experience will chime in. The
external temp won't affect cooktime if you leave the usit closed.

375degrees is 375 degrees, period. It may cause you to go through a
higher amount of fuel but that should be about it. A bigger problem
when cooking in cold conditions is wind. If it's a windy day put some
sort of wind break by the unit to shield it from the wind.

--
Steve