Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default Minty glaze

Nonny wrote:

> I'm getting hungry for crab cakes, and plan to chop up one to give
> a bit of color to the cakes and to add some unexpected tart
> flavor. BTW and off subject- when I make tartar sauce for crab
> cakes, I grind up some capers and toss into the traditional mix.
> For cocktail sauce, my "secret" ingredient is just a tiny touch of
> celery salt.

These aren't crab cakes, but I'll be doing these stuffed mushrooms for
tomorrow eve's buffet. I can't recall where the original recipe came from,
but I've modified it along the way.

CRAB and SHRIMP STUFFED MUSHROOMS

Makes 40-48 mushrooms

3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 3/4 lb)
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh basil
12 drops Tabasco Sauce
2 Tbs Worcheshire sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 small clove garlic, crushed
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 lb fresh crab meat
1 lb pre-cooked shrimp
48 (approx) medium-sized mushrooms, stems removed (freeze & use for soups or
stews)

In a medium bowl, combine cheese, bread crumbs, salt, green onions and
basil.

In separate smaller bowl, combine Tabasco Sauce, Worcheshire, lemon juice,
garlic and egg; add to bread crumb mixture. Add crab and shrimp meat, mix
until well blended. Refrigerate for at least an hour, or overnight.

Preheat oven to 400°. Wet your hands w/cold water, take a small handful of
stuffing in your palm & mold into a round ball. Gently place stuffing firmly
inside mushroom cap w/o breaking mushroom. Place on oiled cookie sheet not
touching each other. (At this point the mushrooms can
be refrigerated and baked later).

Bake 15-20 minutes or until stuffing is lightly browned. Serve immediately
on a warmed platter or chafing dish garnished with fresh basil leaves.

--
Dave