Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default Minty glaze

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
message ...

> I'm with you on the peppers, especially the colored ones.
> Something else I
> love are roasted and peeled sweet red peppers, and I often will
> include them
> in a marinade or sauce, by just tossing some in and hitting it
> with the
> stick blender. I can't recall if I've ever done that with lamb
> but it sure
> wouldn't hurt the kind of glaze we've been talking about.
>
> I find for those sorts of purposes, incorporating roasted sweet
> pepper into
> a dish for it's unique flavor, that the canned or jar variety
> works just as
> well as roasting up your own. I buy the great big cans at one of
> the
> wholesalers or Restaurant Depot, then break them down into
> smaller sets of
> 3-4 peppers, with juice, freeze them in tupperware, then pull
> them out and
> vac bag them. I do the same with chipotle in adobo, but that's
> another
> conversation entirely. The juice from the roasty reds can do
> wonders for
> sauces and gravies, with or without the incorporation of the
> peppers.
>
> MartyB in KC

There's a chain here in LV, and probably elsewhere, called the
$.99 store. The place nearest us has quite a few groceries,
including both fresh and prepared vegetables. We routinely get
jars of roasted red peppers for $.99, and also get bags with 5-6
fresh greens for the same price. The ones in a jar are nicely
roasted and peeled, thus ready to pat off the oil and toss into a
soup, chili or casserole.

I'm getting hungry for crab cakes, and plan to chop up one to give
a bit of color to the cakes and to add some unexpected tart
flavor. BTW and off subject- when I make tartar sauce for crab
cakes, I grind up some capers and toss into the traditional mix.
For cocktail sauce, my "secret" ingredient is just a tiny touch of
celery salt.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.