Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected][_2_] nailshooter41@aol.com[_2_] is offline

Default Christmas Turkey?

Seems like the brine thread came up not too long ago... maybe not. I
think brines improve the texture, but don't do much for flavor.

I brine when I have a chance, but it is pretty much just salt, water,
maybe some sugar when I do. That's it. Extensive, side-by-side
testing on my part with chicken revealed no taste change in simple
brines vs. those 15 ingredient marinates folks make.

For me, the old fashioned way works the best. Soften butter and add
some salt, black pepper, sage, oregano and rosemary.

Make a paste. Gently lift the skin over the bird and put as much of
the paste as you can under the skin, all over the bird.

Take the remaining paste and rub it all over the turkey. Put it in
the smoker with a pan underneath to catch the butter/herb seasoned
drippings.

Cook at 350F in the smoker. Since there is no tough muscle to break
down and your butter will keep the meat moist, 300 - 350F works
great. I allow about 20-25 minutes a pound but check with a thermo to
be sure. I only baste about 1/2 way through, and it's with any butter
paste mixture I have left over.

For me and the missus, I let it sit for about 15 minutes or so while
getting the rest of the meal ready. We don't eat the skin.

But for company/family/presentation purposes, when it is finished
cooking on the smoker, I take the bird in the house and put it in a
preheated oven set at 450. This will crisp the skin nicely, and make
it uniformly brown.

Couldn't be easier.

Robert