Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. is offline

Default Extracts & Flavorings

ms. tonya wrote:
> Been looking for a book as I want to make my own extracts & flavorings
> but having no luck.
>
> Can anyone recommend the reading am lookng for, tried Borders but none.
>
> Have been on Google but I would prefer a reliable book instead of online
> recipes all claiming to be the best.
>
> Happy Holidays.

The inexpensive stuff is artificial. The real thing for many products is
very expensive not only because of the quantities of materials involved
in producing such 'extracts' but the process itself is complex and
expensive.

Escoffier's "la Guide Culinaire" gives detailed and precise instructions
for making various meat and vegetable essences but not those of fruits.

There are any number of 'tricks" for getting various flavors of fruits &
flowers into a dish without making an fractionally distilled essence or
extract of them.

A rose syrup can be very tasty but it is very important to get very
aromatic roses that have been grown without pesticides and/or artificial
fertilizers. Other wise rose water can be gently reduced to increase it
flavor quotient.

Was there a specific flavor or even a few you were specifically
interested in? i might be able to suggest some ideas for some specific
flavors.
--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.