Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default Southern Rhone

On Dec 18, 6:14*pm, "Dee Dovey" > wrote:
> "Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message

> > Dee Dovey wrote:
> >> I'm not sure what this taste is, but DH doesn't taste it. *I recall it
> >> once or twice previously in the last few years. *This time I took note of
> >> the winemaker and see that it is wine from a reputable winemarker, so I
> >> will not mention it, as it smells like barnyard dung. I'm wondering if it
> >> is the grenache, although I've not noticed it in other grenache/syrah.

> >> It is just a hint in the taste. *You can't smell it.

> >> Yes, I know barnyard dung -- born a hillbilly.

> > Bad bottle, probaly brettanomyces infection. Grenache does not smell of
> > dung :-)

> > --
> > Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
> > email linkhttp://www.tommasi.org/mymail

> Thanks, Mike. *I googled brett -- I'm impressed with your knowledge.
> Just another one of those questions that I'm not going to have to postpone
> until I get to the Pearly Gates :-))
>
> Dee Dee

I'm sure Mike is right about the brett, barnyard/dung is a classic
descriptor for brettanomyces. The only questionable part of his
response is the "bad bottle"- it could be representative, there are
plenty of producers who typically show some brett.

I don't know of any subject that causes more controversy than brett:

Brett comes in multiple strains

Brett can "bloom" in bottles that see warmer storage, or have come
from one bottle, so there's no definitive way to say XX wine does or
doesn't have brett.

People vary a lot in their sensitivity to brett (and various strains
of the same),.

People vary a lot in whether they find objectionable (and many find
one strain ok and another objectionable)

So not surprising that you found it and DH didn't