Posted to alt.food.wine
Steve Slatcher Steve Slatcher is offline

Default Terroir and blends

Steve Slatcher wrote:
> Ronin wrote:
>>> However, it is nice to see that our terroir (actually the same seam
>>> of rock that goes through Champagne) is getting recognition.

>> Could you please expand on that? Provide support? Define seam?

> By seam[1] I mean the same level of limestone as it was deposited. After
> deposition, the seam distorted. It now dips under the English Channel,
> and it breaks through to the surface in Champagne and Southern England
> to form the South Downs. It will not be identical rock, as it is
> obviously in 2 different places, but it was laid down at the same time
> and by more or less the same process.
>
> As for support, you will find quite a few references to it being
> (nearly) the same rock on the Web. I recently saw a section diagram
> showing the limestone layer as I described it above, but unfortunately I
> cannot remember where. I must admit I have not examined the geological
> basis for the claim, but I see no reason to doubt it.
>
> I know "seam" is used for coal, but maybe I misused it in applying to
> limestone.

Er, sorry. I meant chalk of course, not limestone. And the geological
term for my "dip" is syncline. And "seam" is stratum, or layer. That's
what comes from posting as soon as you wake up!

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher