Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Will Yardley Will Yardley is offline

Default Can Black Tea Just Be Black Tea?

On 2009-12-17, niisonge > wrote:
>> For post-fermented tea ? Brown tea. Let them use western naming
>> according to the colour of the liquor.
>> If they don't want to adopt western naming, just let them struggle
>> with naming in western market. Simple as that.

> Brown tea ... I'll see how that goes. How about Grey tea?
>
> As for naming in the western market, there is also the option to
> reclaim the name "black tea". But let's see how that goes.

I think that's too potentially confusing. For puer, at least, I think
just calling it puer is best, especially since at what point sheng puer
is considered hei cha is, AFAIK, still up for debate.

As far as other post-fermented teas, I don't think there's a huge demand
for them here, and presumably the people who want them know what to call
them.

--
Multi-lingual forum for Chinese and Japanese tea and teawa
http://teadrunk.org/