Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default TN: 6 guys taste 11 2006 Bordeaux

On Dec 17, 7:15*am, DaleW > wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2:22*am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:

> > > *
> > > I had not heard of Pinot Gouges, so I looked it up athttp://www.wineloverspage.com/wineguest/wgg.html#pnoir(glossarythat
> > > used to be accessible through Strat's Place).

> > > "An interesting mutant of old vine Pinot Noir that started producing
> > > white-skinned grapes was reportedly propagated (1936) in his "Les
> > > Perrieres" plot (cru) by Henri Gouges of Burgundy. By 1947 rooted
> > > cuttings from these vines were fairly widespread in the district. In
> > > his magisterial book "Cote D'Or", 1997, pps. 144/457, Clive Coates
> > > whimsically allots the alias name Pinot Gouges to these vines. Other
> > > sources refer to it as the Pinot Musigny. At last report there was
> > > about 2.5 ha planted, producing a white wine described by Coates as
> > > neither Meursault or Corton, but intriguing and produced in different
> > > styles that peak in about four to eight years."

> > There are several vineyards in areas of Burgundy best known for reds
> > that produce some whites. Most of the white grapes appear to be
> > mutations of Pinot Noir and seem to pop up in Pinot Noir vineyards at
> > random. I will mention a few I have had over the years. D. Ponsot in
> > Morey-Saint-Denis made some Monts-Luisant Blanc which I last tasted in
> > the 90s,. Comte de Vogue made a 1979 Musigny Blanc which I have
> > tasted. I also have tasted the Clos Blanc *de Vougeot 1973 from D.
> > L'Heritier Guyot. I also have tasted the Perriers Blanc 1983 from D.
> > Henri Gouges. These wines were interesting to taste, but for my taste
> > I usually like the Chardonnay based white Burgundy from the better
> > vineyards and producers better.

> I thought the Musigny Blanc was Chardonnay?
> I talked to the guy from Vougeraie (the old Guyot estate) a few years
> ago, he said the Clos Blanc de Vougeot was Chardonnay with a little
> Pinot Gris interspersed.
> Recently Frederic Mugnier started producing a white from the Clos de
> la Marechal in NSG, I believe they said it was Chardonnay that had
> historically been sold off to make Bourgogne blanc.
> I think all of these may be priced high due to curiosity factor
> (though I bought the Gogues for about 30% of normal retail in a
> closeout)

I have not done research from trusted sources to know exactly which
northern Burgundy white wines are made from mutations of red Pinot
Noir and which are made from Chardonnay. Perhaps one of Clive Coates'
books will have the information. I tend to agree with you that some of
these wines tend to be priced high due to the curiosity factor. Also I
tasted the wines mentioned many years ago, so more recent vintages
could be better or worse, depending on changes at the various estates.