Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dominic T. Dominic T. is offline

Default Can Black Tea Just Be Black Tea?

On Dec 17, 12:04*pm, niisonge > wrote:
> Here's the link in Chinese to the article that prompted this
> discussion in the first place:
>
> http://www.chanertea.com%2Ftrends.asp%3Fid%3D235
>
> I suppose the question they really want to know, is what are all you
> cool tea peeps/tea connoisseurs willing to accept as the English for
> "hei cha".
>
> Proposed suggestions include:
> 1. hei cha
> 2. dark tea
> 3. fu tea (note: a new name meaning "happiness")
> 4. return to original, direct chinese tranlation: black tea
> 5. don't know/care

Honestly, I say you should use the term "Hei Cha" as-is in such cases.
It's better than some made up name, and has history and tradition.
Otherwise stick to Black Tea or if necessary begin to use Red Tea in
cases where it fits. I just know that "Red Tea" might conjure images
of Rooibos, or some other type of tisane. People have access to the
Internet and if they are interested they will look into it. I know a
few people who have bought a box of Pu-Erh teabags from the grocery
shelf but then came to me when they didn't like it and wanted to know
if I knew of it... when I ask why they bought it, almost invariably
they say "it sounded exotic."

- Dominic