Posted to rec.food.cooking
ostap bender ostap bender is offline

Default Cooking with a blowtorch

On Dec 17, 9:33*am, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Steve B wrote:
> > I have seen the small propane torches used in restaurant cooking to toast
> > marshmallow toppings, and other things. *I have seen them used to make foods
> > more appealing during photography sessions. * I have one of these, and I
> > have propane and MAPP gases. *Does using these small torches impart any
> > taste to the foods? *Would you use propane or MAPP?

> > Steve

> Use propane. *MAPP is more expensive and might have a taste. *(I use
> an electric heat gun in the kitchen sometimes to brown things. *Have
> used a propane torch before to roast peppers)

I use propane torch too, the biggest one that Home Depot sells. Great
for imparting "grilled"/"seared"outside texture/flavour to fish,
meat, desserts, etc.

I got it after I saw Heston Blumenthal swear by it in "Kitchen
Chemistry" as a finishing searing touch to his low temperature, ultra–
slow cooking.