Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: 6 guys taste 11 2006 Bordeaux

On Dec 17, 2:22*am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> On Dec 17, 12:25*am, AyTee > wrote:
>

> > On Dec 16, 9:36*am, DaleW > wrote:

> > > I had brought a blind starter. Initial guesses were Chablis and white
> > > Rhone, I said it wasn't Chablis and they went more generally white
> > > Burgundy. I confused them when I said not Chardonnay, with folks
> > > guessing Aligote and other minor grapes. Turns out no one was familiar
> > > with the Pinot Gouges (white sport of PN). 2006 Henri Gouges *“la
> > > Perrieres” Nuits St. Georges Blanc 1er. Floral, slight honey note on
> > > nose. Rich, good acids, good length, soil notes. I quite enjoy, and
> > > saved some for my oysters. B+/A-

> > *
> > I had not heard of Pinot Gouges, so I looked it up athttp://www.wineloverspage.com/wineguest/wgg.html#pnoir(glossarythat
> > used to be accessible through Strat's Place).

> > "An interesting mutant of old vine Pinot Noir that started producing
> > white-skinned grapes was reportedly propagated (1936) in his "Les
> > Perrieres" plot (cru) by Henri Gouges of Burgundy. By 1947 rooted
> > cuttings from these vines were fairly widespread in the district. In
> > his magisterial book "Cote D'Or", 1997, pps. 144/457, Clive Coates
> > whimsically allots the alias name Pinot Gouges to these vines. Other
> > sources refer to it as the Pinot Musigny. At last report there was
> > about 2.5 ha planted, producing a white wine described by Coates as
> > neither Meursault or Corton, but intriguing and produced in different
> > styles that peak in about four to eight years."

> There are several vineyards in areas of Burgundy best known for reds
> that produce some whites. Most of the white grapes appear to be
> mutations of Pinot Noir and seem to pop up in Pinot Noir vineyards at
> random. I will mention a few I have had over the years. D. Ponsot in
> Morey-Saint-Denis made some Monts-Luisant Blanc which I last tasted in
> the 90s,. Comte de Vogue made a 1979 Musigny Blanc which I have
> tasted. I also have tasted the Clos Blanc *de Vougeot 1973 from D.
> L'Heritier Guyot. I also have tasted the Perriers Blanc 1983 from D.
> Henri Gouges. These wines were interesting to taste, but for my taste
> I usually like the Chardonnay based white Burgundy from the better
> vineyards and producers better.

I thought the Musigny Blanc was Chardonnay?
I talked to the guy from Vougeraie (the old Guyot estate) a few years
ago, he said the Clos Blanc de Vougeot was Chardonnay with a little
Pinot Gris interspersed.
Recently Frederic Mugnier started producing a white from the Clos de
la Marechal in NSG, I believe they said it was Chardonnay that had
historically been sold off to make Bourgogne blanc.
I think all of these may be priced high due to curiosity factor
(though I bought the Gogues for about 30% of normal retail in a
closeout)