Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Prof Wonmug Prof Wonmug is offline

Default Taste testing strategies

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 13:13:26 -0800 (PST), "Dominic T."
> wrote:

>On Dec 6, 1:25*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
>> Any comments appreciated.

>So, what's been the findings? And just to clarify, 15 seconds may be a
>bit quick for many teas... I'd say around 30 seconds is a good lower
>range. Doesn't have to be long or elaborate, I'd just like to hear
>what you liked, what you didn't, and how the two vendor's teas stacked
>up in your opinion.

So far, I've only tested the Shui Xian from TeaSpring against the Wu
Yi Water Fairy from Upton. They are very similar to me. I doubt if I
could tell them apart in a blind taste test. The Upton tea might be
slightly milder.

I'm still working my way through some Ceylons and Keemuns that I have
had for awhile and didn't like, but am enjoying more now that I am
brewing them with less leaf and shorter steep times.

I can only test new teas a little at a time. If I have a heavy work
day, I just need an old reliable tea. I don't want to brew an inferior
pot if I am trying to concentrate. ;-)