Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default Cal Cab, Chablis, Surprise Chard

I went to a holiday trade tasting last night. While I no longer have
an affiliation in the wine business, I still get some perks like
invites to tastings. Most of the wines were pedestrian and not note
worthy there were a few goodies.
2007 William Fevre "Le Clos" Chablis GC-light in color, nose of lemon
and limes. Farily tight on the palate with plenty of bright acidity
and minerality. Textbook Chablis. Like a squirt of fresh lemon and
lime in your mouth. I'd like to taste it again in year or two "A-"

2007 Gruet New Mexico Chardonnay-Quite a surprise. It was served
blind and I bounced back and forth between France and California.
Just a trace of oak for richness, nice bright fruit and acidity with a
long lingering finish that reminded me of Meursault. A tiny bit of
pineapple behind Meyer lemon on the palate. Nice for $15. "A-"

1996 Chateau Montelena Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon-I think this was
a library release. The wine showed little age, Typical Napa dust on
the nose with cassis and black cherry. Still plenty of fruit and a
bit of mineral. Black fruits and cedar with resolved tannins. Could
still use a few more years but drinking well now. "A"