Posted to alt.food.wine
Robb in Austin Robb in Austin is offline

Default Suggestions for dinner wine

> It sounds to me like both preparations of the pork might be a touch
> sweet. *If so, I'd be tempted to try a bigger white wine such as a
> Riesling Spätlese or Grüner Veltliner Smaragd. *If those wines aren't
> available, how about a Gewurztraminer or Pinot Gris?
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Thanks for the ideas Mark. My thoughts were wandering towards a
interesting white as well.
As it turned out, we only cooked the raspberry chipotle tenderloin. By
itself the marinade is very sweet, but it was not once cooked. It was
barely making it's presence known.

I made a quick trip to the grocery store for a loaf of La Brea bakery
roasted garlic sourdough(wonderful bread) and a tempranillo as
suggested by Lawrence. HEB didn't have anything I wanted so I stopped
by the bottle shop in the same parking lot. Left with a 2002 Campo
Viejo Rioja Reserva Tempranillo. Um, wow. Stood up very well with the
pork and garlic bread. The roasted Parmesan/rosemary red potatoes went
nicely too. I was careful with the broccoli, not sipping just after a
bite.

In the glass; garnet/purple center fading to a brick red.
On the nose; I'm not sure what I smell but I like. A little 'warm' but
not in a alcohol way. I think I note chocolate covered cherries; SWMBO
says no. Maybe some oak/vanilla.
Palate; nicely balanced to me. Tannins ok, ever so slightly
astringent, medium bodied, some more chocolate covered cherries to me
(which I don't even like).

On the Dale Scale(tm) I give it a solid B+. A- based on $13/btl.
Will be going back for a few more.

Thanks for the ideas,
Robb