Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Prof Wonmug Prof Wonmug is offline

Default Taste testing strategies

I would be interested in any opinions on the most effective ways, or
at least the tradeoffs of various ways, to test new teas.

I have two main questions:

1. What's the best way to vary the parameters?

2. Is it better to test multiple pots of the same tea or intersperse
the tests with pots of other teas?

Question 1: How to vary the parameters?

Dominic has suggested starting out with about 1 tsp/cup and brewing
for 15 seconds. Then increase the steep time by 15 second increments
until the sweet spot is found. I have tested that approach and found
it useful.

I presume that testing would then continue at a different strength
depending on the results of the above. If too weak, increase to 1.5
tsp/cup.

I weigh everything, at least in the beginning, so usually start with
1.0 g/cup and go from there.

Does anyone have any comments on this general approach or suggestions
for another way to test?

Question 2: Multiple tests of one tea or interspersed?

Next question is whether to test several pots of the same tea back to
back or intersperse them with other teas.

My approach has been to test just one pot of each tea, then go to a
different tea. My thinking was that this is a fairer test because it
is more like a randomized experiment.

Testing several pots of the same tea back to back does provide a
better direct comparison, but I worry that my palate gets affected by
the previous pots.

Any comments appreciated.