Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Leppla George Leppla is offline

Default Batter, batter everywhere.

brooklyn1 wrote:

> Professional bakers use the same tool they use to mix their batter...
> their hand... scoop a handful of batter from the mixing bowl by
> scraping the heel of the hand up the side of the bowl and then squeeze
> the batter into the muffin cup with one deft squeeze... with a little
> practice one will be filling muffins at a rate of a dozen in under a
> minute, every one the same size, not a drip anywhere, and muffin
> batter only on the palm of one hand. Pro bakers fill cake pans the
> same... there is no better tool than the human hand.

That is pretty old school. I've seen it done buy a couple of bakers and
it was fun to watch, but actually, for mass baking, the method is too
slow, even at a dozen a minute.

Most commercial bakeries use a gadget like the ones on this page:

http://www.restaurantequipment.com/batter.html

These hold a lot of batter, can be calibrated to pour the same amount of
batter every time and are VERY fast to use.

George L