Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] Marcillac!

Last night's dinner was cheese ravioli with our own tomato sauce and
pesto. To go with it, I opened another bottle from a recent "sampler
case" purchase from Crush in NYC.

2008 Causse Marines Marcillac ($19)
nose: initially, bright red fruit; later turning leafy and herbal
palate: initially, tart, crisp acidity, later getting smoky, herbal and
leafy

What a fun wine! To start with, it came across as a Cru Beaujolais
lookalike, but with time started to morph into a Loire Cab Franc
relative. The acidity was refreshing and the fruit ever-present. If it
were $15, it would be a QPR winner, but even at $20 it is a quality wine
for a fair price.

Marcillac is a neighbor of Cahors in SW France. Normally the grape used
is the local Far Servedou, but Causse Marines champions more obscure
(!!) local varieties, so this might have some Duras in it.

Mark Lipton