Posted to alt.food.wine
Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] is offline

Default Bunch of WHite Burgs and a Bordeaux

In article
"Bi!!" > wrote:

> On Nov 30, 1:47?pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >

> > ?"Bi!!" > wrote:
> > > Gun season for deer starts on Monday morning so I hosted a dinner at
> > > my farm for the hunters at my place. ?Assorted starters included
> > > lobster salad on endive leaf, clams casion, etc all begged for white
> > > wine so I broke into my white burg stash.

> > > 2002 Boillot Puligny Montrachet-tasty, crisp, tart, lemon peel.
> > > Medium bodied and well balanced.
> > > 2003 Olivier Leflaive Bienvenues Batard Montrachet-More substance than
> > > the Puligny. ?Richer, lemon curd and pure liquid rock minerality.
> > > Really delicious and smooth.
> > > 2005 Bollot Batard Montrachet-Really full bodied, almost a "black
> > > dirt" minerality. ?Wonderful layers of flavors, vanilla, citrus,
> > > creamy yet well balanced with acidity. ?I could smell this wine all
> > > night.
> > > 2007 Fevre Chablis "Le Clos" another really big chablis with chalky
> > > limestone overtones. Plenty of lemon-lime and crisp vibrant acidity.
> > > All wines merited an "A" from me.

> > > With roasted rack of lamb rubbed with pepper and mustard. ?2000
> > > Leoville Poyferre from a mag. ?Still quite young but still incredibly
> > > delicious. ?Kind of a cross over between old world and international
> > > in style. On could smell the dirt in the wine yet rich supple cassis
> > > and blackberry notes dominated. ?Another aromatic masterpiece that one
> > > could whif for hours.

> > I'd rather be hunting with you. My pals bring beef jerky and pop tarts
> > and Natty light seems to now be thing to do lately. If I brought them
> > anything you mentioned, I would probably be sent into the woods buck
> > naked except for an orange blaze vest. This dinner seems so much nicer.-

> I used to hunt like that but when I built a lodge at my farm I swore I
> wouldn't do that again. I took a real nice buck with a bow earlier
> this fall so I'm just meat hunting and overseeing the other hunters
> and the kitchen at this point.

Reiterating, I like your way better. I can't figure out how to convert
guys who chew and carry old coffee cans to spit into wine drinkers other
that the 1/2 gallon variety. I like them but they are good ol boys. We
did make a fine pot of chile with some of the venison we got. I also
have a fully dressed out elk we will be freezing and eating over the
next 6 months. Pheasant are slated for this weekend. We had a 21 pound
wild turkey for Thanksgiving and that was the best bird I have had in
years. Was shot with a bow in Western New Mexico 2 days prior to
Thanksgiving. Because it was a wild bird went with all Red wine with
dinner. Sides were very traditional with a wild boar sausage and
chestnut stuffing with potato bread. Starter was Rustico Nino Franco
which has become our favorite here, great melon nose and just a juicy
Prosecco B+ on Dale scale. With dinner, two magnums of the Tensley
Colson Canyon 2006 Syrah. Nose of spiced cherries and chocolate. B+ on
Dale scale. With Pumpkin and Pecan Pie, the 2003 Reserve Port from
Prager.