Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: inexpensive wines- German Riesling, Argentine Chardonnay

Saturday we sat down with Betsy's parents to a dinner of leftover
turkey, dressing, spicy pumpkin soup, etc. Wine was the 2007 Frisch
Riesling (Rheinhessen). I believe this is a negoce wine from the
winemaker at Gunderloch. Apples, cherry, and ginger. Pleasant wine,
could use just a tad more zip, but for $10 QbA not bad at all. B
*
Sunday was lemon sole with a panko crust, rice with furikake, red
cabbage, and salad with a Cashel blue dressing. Wine was the 2008 Ruca
Malen "Yauquen" Chardonnay. This was recommended as a good basic
white wine for cooking and having a glass. Correct, seemingly unoaked,
sweet apples, despite ok acidity has a very flat approach. Clean, but
not very interesting. B-/C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**