Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected] thea_inbinders@nospamyahoo.com is offline

Default Thanksgiving meal

On Nov 25, 2:12*pm, Manuel > wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:44:18 -0500, "piedmont" > wrote:
> >Starting preparations for T'sgiving meal.

> >Cooked over coals, a, 12 LB. farm raised shoulder of pork, seasoned and
> >allowed to rest for two days with, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, oil and
> >vinegar.

> >Cornbread dressing (with cornbread made from leaf lard from a farm raised
> >hog) *macaroni and cheese, *cornbread, *red beans and rice, *deviled eggs,
> >red velvet cupcakes, collard greens.

> That's a great recipe... maccheroni, cheese, rice, greens... what a
> beautiful blend.
>
> Of course also the meat seems great.
>
> I'm sure you'll have many congrats. Hey, you have to tell us what your
> guests will say.
>
> I wrote down the recipe because I want to prepare something similar
> (but I'm Italian). Anyway, I don't need an holiday to prepare this
> beautiful recipe.

21 lb. turkey was brined overnight in Kosher salt, water, brown sugar
and assorted herbs in my cooler in a jumbo Ziploc bag with a bag of
ice on top. Stayed nice and cold all night.

Estimated smoking time was 6 - 7 hours at 350. Actually smoked with
hickory for 5.5 hours to the proper internal temperature. Everyone
commented on the smokey flavor and moistness of the turkey. I never
cooked a bird that size but, very pleased everyone enjoyed.

Does brining increase the speed of cooking?

Rob