Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 21:26:42 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> brooklyn1 > wrote:

>> Everything about food and cooking is beyond you.
>>
>> Very often a meal doesn't include any dish from wish to produce a from
>> scratch gravy yet includes a dish that would benefit from gravy. There
>> are prepared gravies that are pretty good quality, actually better
>> than what certain folks ("cshenk") are capable of preparing from
>> scratch at home. And packaged gravies can always be doctored...
>> aren't all from scratch gravies doctored, of course they are. That's
>> what real cooking is all about, taking what's available and making it
>> better. Every good cook should have an assortment of jarred gravies
>> in their staples pantry as a matter of course.

>I think one of the more common canned gravies is cream of mushroom soup,
>as is, not thinned. <g> Straight out of the can; That stuff is pretty
>thick. Cream of chicken soup too.

There are many meals that include say mashed/boiled spuds or a rice
dish, or some other grain that would benefit from gravy yet there is
no roasted meat from which to make a from scratch gravy... like how
many times have you grilled a London broil, or chops, or chicken
parts, or even a steak of any sort and wished there was gravy...
something besides ketchup, steak sauce, bbq sauce, etc... aren't those
all technically gravies, of course they are. And many times there
aren't a lot of people (perhaps just you) so all one wants is like a
cup or two of gravy and in a hurry, not even time to defrost that
quart of gravy in your freezer and you don't want that much gravy
.... canned cream of celery often goes well when doctored a bit, and
many of the jarred gravies work well, are just the right amount, and
are easy to jazz up from the spice cabinet. Cream of celery with
cheese melted in actually goes well poured over meat loaf and mashed,
a change from gravy made with the scrapings from the meat loaf pan.
Heinz jarred gravies are pretty good... I keep a few in the
pantry, never know... I'm planning a potato, green n' red bell pepper,
and onion omelet/fritatta for tonight (tired of turkey), may benefit
from some jarred gravy... will be a last minute decision, and since I
plan to make an amount that uses an entire dozen eggs (no, not turkey
eggs) there will be left overs for another meal or two, might be good
open faced over toast with gravy... what would be the difference from
pizza, really... ain't pizza just an open faced cheese sammich with
gravy.