Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default U use Brita water system?

Pete C. wrote:

> Certainly RO water will be superior to ordinary carbon block filtered
> water, but may be overkill depending on how bad your source water is. RO
> filter systems use carbon block filters as their first stage since
> chlorine is bad for the expensive RO membrane.

It depends on the quality of the carbon block filter. There are solid
carbon block filters available that are made from fine carbon dust steam
compressed into a solid block. They are so fine they will filter out
bacteria. I originally heard of the technology when I did a research
paper in high school - They were recommended for nuclear fallout
shelters. They are also used on commercial airliners.

The brand I ended up using can be seen in episodes of Iron Chef Japan.
There's one running at all times during their cooking battles and the
chefs use the water for everything but washing. Multipure. They are
sold by indpendent distributors. My ex- used to sell them. I suggest
buying from anyone else.

I recently looked at the ones that condense water out of the air. Sure
enough, it's a dehumidifier system. Very good water quality as is to be
expected from a machine that produces almost distilled water. The water
costs less than delivery of those 5 gallon jugs so such a system would
make sense in any office that has that sort of water delivery already.

Not cheaper that a carbon block filter, though.