Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default U use Brita water system?

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 08:18:19 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
.. .
>>I usually buy bottled water and a friend of mine uses the Brita system
>> for his drinking water and he likes it. Anyone here use it and if so,
>> your thoughts on the taste of the water? Also, how many gallons get
>> one get from a filter before it has to be changed?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark

>If it is your house, consider a whole house or under-sink filter for hte
>kitchen cold water line.

My RO filter is mounted on my basement wall just below my kitchen
sink... doesn't steal that space, makes for much easier servicing, and
just in case of a leak nothing gets damaged. RO filters are available
in many sizes, a few gallons a day for residential use to hundreds of
gallons a day for restaurant use and larger for commissary/hospital
use. Mine has a 2 1/2 gallon storage tank, stops producing when full,
but will generate about one quart per hour... I've never emptied the 2
1/2 gallons. An RO filter membrane will last on average about ten
years, depends on usage... the accompanying sediment and charcoal
filters last about a year. I also have a whole house UV lamp water
treatment device. and I have a water softener. I have all the hydro
equipment professionally serviced once a year, costs about $125
including filter cartridges. The UV lamp adds another $100, those
lamps are expensive, and there is a government mandated disposal
charge on those lamps now, $15. I have all the air in my house
constantly treated with UV too... makes a big difference with
respiratory illness (colds), allergies, and skin eruptions, fewer and
far less severe. I think UV treats water better than chlorine and
with no side effects... folks have skin afflictions from bathing with
bacteria laden water too. And most municipal water systems don't
contain chlorine so folks on those systems are totally unprotected...
no fluoride either. Bottled water is the least pure, especially with
how folks tend tend to slobber those bottles all day and they share.
And bottled water is very expensive, for water no purer than directly
from your own tap.