Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Riesling, Riesling, Chardonnay

Sunday night I made split pea soup and choucroute (strange combo, but
I was trying to work with what was in fridge, which included some
great kraut, a hambone, etc). Cooking wine was NV (listed as 2007 on
site of store where I bought, and lot # ends with 07, but no actual
vintage I can see) Pacific Rim Winemakers Dry Riesling (America). Does
the American designation mean they no longer add some German grapes?
Anyway, I used to find this a dependable value when it was Bonny Doon.
This not so much. Surprising amount of petrol, a characteristic I
don't usually mind, but apparently I appreciate it more over a
backbone on acidty than a flacid Riesling. A bit of RS despite name, a
tad dilute, soft and empty. Doesn't seem to hurt the choucroute
though. C/C+

Dinner wine was the 2008 Knebel Estate Trocken Riesling. Ah, this is
more like it. Nice Riesling, clean apple with mineral and a hint of
petrol. Good length, nice acidity, serious wine for the price. B/B+

Tonight Betsy's parents and Dave joined us for dinner. Betsy made
bluefish Dijonnaise (Rick Moonen's recipe - a mustard/thyme/mayo
coating), baked potatoes, and salad. Since recipe was titled
Dijonnaise, I opened a Burgundy, the 2007 Bize "Les Perrieres"
Bourgogne Blanc. Nice - fleshy but with good acidity, pears and apples
with a slight tropical note, a faint touch of oak, good length, very
very nice for level. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**