Posted to alt.food.wine
IanH IanH is offline

Default Pinot Grigio

Hello Michal,

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:57:05 +0100, Michael Pronay >
wrote:

>IanH > wrote:
>
>> I'd love to try one [Badacsony Szürkebarat] against chinese or
>> indian food, because that's the wine I always think of in that
>> context, and which I have to sub an Alsace Gewurz in place of.

>Try a powerful Grüner Veltliner (13% or up): Does exceptionally
>well.

Actually, remembering the wines we tasted a t Vinexpo. that makes
sense. In fact there's a very idiosyncratic chinese restaurant called
"Hunan" in London, where the son, who is taking over the business, is
a complete nut about wine. Rather a losing battle in a chinese
restaurant, one might think!

Anyway, I guess you have travelled abroad enough to know that Grüner
Veltliner, whether powerful or not is almost unknown in restaurants
outside Austria, more's the pity. It's a measure of the wine list at
the Hunan that they have not just one GV, but two there - and at very
reasonable markups. So I've no excuses.

Thanks.

--
All the best