Posted to rec.food.cooking
phaeton phaeton is offline

Default U use Brita water system?

I use a Pur filter on the end of the faucet. I think I paid about $30
for it, and replacement filters are $15. They say you can get a year
out of the filter, but their little indicator goes all the way to 100%
after about 6 months. Usually then, I'll pull the filter out and put
it back in to reset the meter.

I like it because my water sometimes tastes a little 'rubbery' or once
in awhile the chlorine levels will spike. Without filtering, my
coffee and especially tea will get an almost metallic tangy taste to
them that ruins the experience. Water that is filtered tastes like
"nothing" as I not-I said, but that's fine with me. They do have
filters that include minerals, and my guess is that the water will
then taste like rural well water, but I've never tried it.

The only thing that I don't like about it is that it adds all this
bulk to the end of the faucet. If I'm filtering water and putting it
into a tall glass (like a pub-style tumbler) the sink below has to be
pretty much empty or i won't be able to fit the glass under the
filter. A different faucet would help, but this isn't my place so I'm
not going to change it.

I initially bought it when I was on a 3-month work assignment in
Delaware in a furnished hotel last year. The water there tasted as
though you toasted a piece of moldy bread and made tea out of it. I
didn't expect this filter to do very much, but it completely removed
all that taste from the water.

-J