Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default Does anyone else ever order from the Woot style places?

Certainly since recession/meltdown/malaise there have been some great
deals from regular retailers (Zachys, Grape the Wine Company, Pops
spring to mind). But there have also been some new "stores"
established, specializing in the One Item at a Time closeout deal.
Woot wine was first, but I've never bought from them.

I have bought a bit from Wines Til Sold Out. 98+% of their offers
don't interest me, but that's ok- since they put the actual wine in
subject line, I can just delete. Of the ones I open, some I don't find
the pricing that attractive, but I have bought some Champagne (Mumm
Cremant at $40, 85 Cuvee Charlie @$100) and a few reds, with free
shipping the occasional attractive deals. If deleting emails is a pain
for you I wouldn't recommend. I also don't generally buy wines I don't
know (it's been pointed out that a LOT of the wines feature "reviews"
and scores from Jonathan Newman, a distributor, and I wouldn't be
surprised if he was behind the site. When they sell out, they put
another wine up, so sometimes multiple offers in a day (and some
things repeat, if they didn't sell out).

The last month or so Wine Library has started their own site on the
woot model, at http://cinderellawine.com/.
Cinderella does one offer a day (originally midnight Eastern, now at 9
PM). Lots of things don't interest me, but I have bought (3 bottle
quanitities, all with free shipping):
06 Chave Mon Coeur at $16.xx
06 Ridge Lytton at $18.88
03 Mascrello Monprivato @ $38.88 (I mostly avoid 03 Baroli, but this
got good reviews from some folks even less fans of uberripeness than
myself, and besides- under $40 Monprivato?!?!)

So are there other sites like this? Anyone else use these?