Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Coke Taste Test

In article
Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:

> > >I don't have a problem with HFCS, other than it is sugar, and I'm a
> > >diabetic. Fructose, which is a main component of HFCS, is fruit sugar,
> > >coming from the latin word "fructus", or fruit. The rest is glucose,
> > >which is the sugar found in your blood. Glucose is also commonly found
> > >in fruit.

> For me, I have an aversion to eating things that can not possibly be
> made in my home. Lots of things would be difficult to do, or are things
> that I wouldn't do, or never have or are time consuming, but if, like
> with HFCS, it is impossible to make in my home, unless we turn our shop
> into an industrial chemistry lab, then I don't want to eat it. The end.

But we haven't even started yet!

Beer has been made for thousands of years:

http://www.beerhistory.com/library/h...imetable.shtml

Here's the basic process:

1. Get some viable, edible dried corn seeds (no fungicide or pesticide,
since we're making food). Beer was made out of corn in South America.

2. Wet the corn and then sprout it.

3. When the sprouts are about 1/2" long, pop them in the oven and cook
on low heat until they are dry.

4. Break off the dried sprouts and toss them in the compost.

5. Put the dried seeds in a pot and add water. Heat on stove. You now
have corn syrup. If you thicken it, you will have the same thing you
buy in a bottle as Karo corn syrup. It will be all glucose.

6. Add yeast (or wait for yeast from the air to hit) to the unthickened
solution to make beer.

Note that there is no fructose in the above. That requires another
enzyme (Mother Nature gave you the first enzyme to convert starch to
sugar with the sprouting of the seed). The producers of HFCS don't use
the above process, either. They use enzymes, but don't sprout the corn.
It appears that they use some nasty chemicals somewhere, also.

> Finding out that there was a little amount of mercury in it only
> confirmed my decision.

I think the nasty chemicals are where the mercury floated in. It is a
contaminant and shouldn't be there.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA