Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Savennieres : Clos de Papillon

pk wrote:
> As part of a Loire Food matched with Loire wine supper party next
> weekend, I'm serving (among other things) Salmon with Beurre Blanc
> matched with Domaine Du Closel Clos de Papillon, 2004. A friend is
> bringing a Baumard Clos de Papillon (vintage unknown) to taste alongside.
>
> Can the panel suggest what differences we might find?

First of all, it sounds like a great event, one at which I was present.
To answer the question, most fans of Loire CB that I know prefer the
Closel version to the Baumard in most years. '04 is a fine year for
Savennieres, but it will all come down to what year the Baumard is. If
it has some age on it and comes from a year like '96 (or even '97) it
ought to be quite a different wine. In that event, it might even have
an oxidative character to it that some might find offputting.

Mark Lipton