Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nick Cramer Nick Cramer is offline

Default Tonight: Home made Pizza

"Brick" > wrote:
> On 15-Nov-2009, piedmont > wrote:
> > Gene wrote:
> > > Home made pizza tonight.
> > >
> > > No, I did not make the dough. I do not have a mixer with a hook and I
> > > also do not want to wait over night for the dough to proof. I have
> > > found a good frozen dough. I will hand roll it, my son is going to
> > > hand toss it. Should be interesting.
> > >
> > > Stay tuned for the step by step. Same bat channel!

> > Do you have a bread maker machine with a dough and/or a pizza dough
> > cycle or programmable? I have a fantastic pizza dough recipe that takes
> > 55 minutes in a machine then let it rise double twice. Takes 55 min
> > dough cycle, then about two 45 minutes rises.

> I'll trade you a cd of the 2009 Milan, GA HTH for a copy of your
> pizza dough recipe.

Pizza Crusts

This makes a thin, crispy crust with airy pockets. The dough will be
sticky and difficult to manage, but its a great crisp crust. From Peter
Reinhart’s American Pie book

5 c (22 1/2 oz) unbleached bread flour
2 T sugar or honey
2 t table salt or 3 1/2 t kosher salt
1 t instant yeast
2 T olive oil
1-3/4 c plus 1 T room temp water

If not using a bread machine,

1. With lg metal spoon, stir together all ingredients by hand for 1
minute, until combine. Then use electric mixer - with the dough hook on
low for 4 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes. Then mix again for 2 minutes
on medium-low until the dough clears sides of bowl and sticks just a bit on
the bottom. Adjust water or flour as necessary, using 1 T at a time.

2. Immediately divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Round each into a ball
and brush with olive oil. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes. Then put in
refrig overnight. If making for same day, let dough rest 1 hr at room
temp, punch down, reshape them into balls and cover again - refrig for at
least 2 hrs)

3. 2 hours before you plan to serve, remove dough from refrigerator and
place at room temperature.

ABM directions: bring all ingredients to room temp and place in machine.

Select dough cycle and press Start. When machine is finished, take out and
put on floured board, covered for 10 to 15 minutes then roll out and put
on pan or peel dusted with cornmeal. Then add sauce, any toppings (make
sure hamburger and sausage are cooked and drained before placing on pizza)
and mozzarella. Bake at 500 F for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove when crust is
starting to char and cheese is melted and almost starting to turn brown.

For a fun read and the best pizza information, go to Jeff Varasano's NY
Pizza Recipe:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/jvpizza/

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061