Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Space Cowboy Space Cowboy is offline

Default The new tea smell

One of our Chinese knick knack shops carries a good selection of
teas. They are those ubiquitous Chinese only large cardboard
cylinders like the TenRen numbered series. These are the expensive
ones in the $75/300g range. Too much for me to take a chance. On my
last visit the store now offers 25g/$4 samplers of the various boxes.
That is cheaper than the retail price. They said people wouldnt buy
expensive samplers. I could only buy one sample of each tea box. I
bought a King TGY and three others. There is coding on the sampler if
I want to buy the box on the next visit. What stuck me immediately
was the consistency in leaf grade size and color. I would expect the
Golden oolong to be different than the TGY. They are all light nugget
leaf and take a while to infuse while floating on the surface. The
infused leaf across the samplers has a disappointing ragged look.
When leads me too my point. I think they are coated with a 'new leaf'
smell. Once I get through the new leaf smell which fades quickly I
can taste the underlying tea taste differences. This could be a
preservative but initially noticeable. Nothing in the samplers I
bought made me think it was worth a pricey purchase . Ill enjoy the
samplers but gone when gone.

Jim