Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Archer Farms Pasta Sauce. Pppyuck!

I bought this organic sauce from Target a few times. The jars are a little
smaller than most which works out well for just the two of us (Angela and
I). And as pasta sauce goes, it's low in carbs. It's also cheap! Normally
with pasta sauce, I add extra vegetables. I always add freeze dried onion
and red bell peppers if I have them. Sometimes add mushrooms, shredded
carrots, zucchini or whatever other fresh vegetables I have onhand.

The first time we had this sauce, I was in a hurry and didn't add any other
vegetables. While I found it to be edible, I didn't really like it. Angela
hated it and told me never to buy it again. But part of me just assumed
that the flavor was off because I didn't add the extra veggies.

I planned to make pasta for a quick dinner on Sunday night and decided to
make extra so we would have a quick meal for tonight as well. I do have
jars of other sauce here. We love the Amy's Organic and some of the
Classico Organic. Just not the Spinach for some unknown reason. And I have
a two pack of something I've yet to try that I got from Costco. But all the
jars are in the garage and at that point were not easy to get to. We bought
a shelving unit at Target and have since put it together but still have to
organize some more of the pantry items that are out there. So I just opted
to buy another jar of the Archer Farms just because it was easier to do so.

Then I realized that it wouldn't be enough sauce for all the pasta I was
cooking. I often add plain tomato sauce and Italian Seasoning to make more
sauce. But did I have any in the house? Nope. It too was in the garage.
So I used a can of diced tomatoes in juice.

When I opened the jar of the Archer Farms sauce, I immediately noticed an
off odor that reminded me of mold. But the sauce looked okay. No mold on
the lid or rim of the jar. I used it anyway. And it was not good. I
forced myself to eat my usual serving size of pasta, but Angela didn't
finish hers and didn't go back for seconds. Tonight she drowned hers in
Parmesan but it didn't help. I tried some crumbled rice cheese on mine and
it didn't help either.

I will not be buying this again! I don't know what they do to it to give it
the off flavor. The Classico with Spinach was equally bad but in a
different way. The only other sauce we've tried that wasn't good was the
Muir Glen Organic. It had a very acid quality to it. Oddly their salsa is
very good.

I am remembering the days when you couldn't buy canned or jarred pasta
sauce. At least not in this country. I made my sauce using canned tomatoes
and or sauce. Or if I had fresh tomatoes, I used those. The sauce was
always good. I remember cooking spaghetti for my brother when my parents
went out of town. He asked me what was wrong with the sauce? The reason
for this was that my mother always made sauce using some sort of packet that
you buy in the area where the gravy packets are. This sort of sauce tasted
okay but it separated out into tomato solids and watery stuff. We didn't
eat a lot of pasta with tomato sauce in our house when I was growing up.

Then they came out with Prego. I remember us laughing at the name. My mom
thought it sounded like something for pregnant women. I was not impressed
with that sauce and continued to make my own until there were more brands on
the market. Even then I made my own sauce most of the time. Only after I
had Angela and discovered that I could buy cans of Hunt's for 88 cents at
the commissary, did I switch over to buying my sauce all the time. I don't
buy that any more but I can't remember if it's due to the food allergies or
HFCS. But some of the flavors are low in carbs.

Perhaps I should go back to making my own sauce, at least when I have the
time. It's easy enough to make that I don't need a recipe for it! And if I
have any more of that Archer Farms stuff lurking about, it's going to the
food bank! I just feel sorry for the poor people who have to eat it.