Posted to rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack[_1_] Victor Sack[_1_] is offline

Default Tongue in a pressure cooker

Beef tongue is sometimes available at a (pseudo)-Russian supermarket for
7 euros a kilo/2.2 pounds (in contrast, my regular food halls sells it
for around 16-17 euros a kilo). I bought a tongue of about 1.7 kg/3.7
pounds and cooked it in a pressure cooker, using a variation of my usual
non-pressure-cooker recipe.

Beef tongue in a pressure cooker

1 large onion, chopped
clarified butter for frying
2 carrots, sliced
1 celery root (celeriac), trimmed and chopped
1 parsley root, chopped
1 parsnip, chopped
1 beef tongue, rinsed and, if necessary, trimmed of any throat parts
beef stock, diluted with water
2 bay leaves
some black peppercorns
4 medium potatoes, cubed
parsley
allspice
salt

In an open pressure cooker, fry the onions until soft, add the root
vegetables and fry and bit more. Add the beef tongue and pour enough
diluted stock to cover. Add the bay leaves, the peppercorns, allspice
and salt. Bring to the boil over high heat. Once the scum starts to
appear, keep removing it carefully until none is getting produced.

Lock the lid of the cooker in place, bring up to pressure, reduce the
heat to as low as possible to maintain the pressure and cook for one
hour. Remove from heat and let the pressure fall naturally, about 15
minutes.

Remove the lid, take out the tongue (being careful, as some residual
pressure can get trapped under the skin) and plunge it in cold water,
running more cold water over it, until cool enough to handle. Remove
the skin, which should be easy.

Return the tongue to the pressure cooker, add the potatoes, replace the
lid, locking it place, bring up to pressure and cook for 3 minutes, then
let the pressure fall naturally again. Check for seasoning. Sprinkle
with parsley and serve the tongue, cut into thick wide slices, together
with the vegetables. Serve some horseradish sauce on the side, if
desired.

Victor