Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gregory Morrow[_378_] Gregory Morrow[_378_] is offline

Default Best bit of action you've seen in a resto

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 08:15:53 -0500, "skeeter" >
> wrote:
>
>>> I ate at that restaurant routinely, 4 - 5 nights a week after work
>>> and often ate lunch there also. Very good food, unpretentious,
>>> well priced and close to both my work and home.
>>>
>>> When i was ready to pay the check i was told i would not be charged
>>> for the meal or second drink that was served me with out my asking
>>> for it and was again apologized to for the incident. And im not
>>> even a particularly good tipper.
>>>
>>> On subsequent visits i made it a point to sit further back inside
>>> the restaurant and not quite so close to the front door
>>> --
>>>
>>> Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.
>>>
>>> Domine, dirige nos.
>>> Let the games begin!
>>> http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3
>>>

>> same thing happened to me, though the owner of the restaurant
>> brought out a brown bagged lunch for the offending homeless man. i
>> now call it one of my favorites restaurants.

> It's hard to say no to someone who is hungry. But what are you going
> to do if there's a hundred of them looking for that brown bag?

One of the "issues" we have when we have cookouts at our corner bar are
homeless types wanting food. A coupla of them are real obnoxious, they'll
barge right in or whine and beg when we are manning the grills. A coupla
others are very discreet, they hang back and approach us very timidly and
ask politely...they get some nice food, the loudmouthed ****s do not..

Natcherly the "freeloaders" are not just black homeless peeps, there are the
affluent white cheapskates who will come in and chow down big and only order
one beer and tip the barkeep a quarter. They'll hawg all the primo stuff
like shrimp and steak and one even brings Tupperware containers for
leftovers (this stopped when I conveniently "misplaced" the containers when
she wasn't looking, hehe). Some will sit for a coupla hours and eat enuf
for like FIVE people, etc. I mean come ON, you are getting a GREAT meal for
free here...

So I kinda keep an "eye" on things, cheapskate deadbeat losers will ruin
EVERYTHING if you let 'em...

I am a *lot* less kindly disposed towards the affluent cheapskates than I am
towards the homeless...

One in particular is a Big Cheese type, always flashing a roll of hundreds.
He'll say, "I'd buy you a drink or put some songs on the jukebox, but all I
have are hundreds...", to which I'm thinking, "Hey, they have enuf money
here to MAKE CHANGE...and if not there's a currency exchange and several
grocery stores with in-house banks just down the block...". Maybe it's
Confederate money or something, who knows...

OTOH there are those of fairly modest income who are buying the cooks
drinks, tipping big, etc. I'll say, please, it's not necessary to buy me
drinks, but they insist. Money is certainly indicator of class...

Anyways, the vagaries of "urban living", lol...

--
Best
Greg