Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. is offline

Default Best bit of action you've seen in a resto

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 08:15:53 -0500, "skeeter" >
> wrote:
>

>>>I ate at that restaurant routinely, 4 - 5 nights a week after work and
>>>often ate lunch there also. Very good food, unpretentious, well priced
>>>and close to both my work and home.
>>>
>>>When i was ready to pay the check i was told i would not be charged for
>>>the meal or second drink that was served me with out my asking for it and
>>>was again apologized to for the incident. And im not even a particularly
>>>good tipper.
>>>
>>>On subsequent visits i made it a point to sit further back inside the
>>>restaurant and not quite so close to the front door
>>>--
>>>
>>>Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

>>same thing happened to me, though the owner of the restaurant brought out a
>>brown bagged lunch for the offending homeless man. i now call it one of my
>>favorites restaurants.

> It's hard to say no to someone who is hungry. But what are you going
> to do if there's a hundred of them looking for that brown bag?
>
> Lou

In my case the chef seemed most upset about the "street person" not
asking me if he could have my bread but just taking it, in effect
"defrauding an innkeeper" which, form what i understand is a curious
point of honor among chefs and an equally curious aspect of English
common law.

Somehow stealing food from an "innkeeper" or restaurant is morally &
legally worse than stealing food from a market.

I don't recall the philosophical premise that justifies it, only that it
is an archaism still much favored by restaurateurs.

--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!