Posted to alt.food.barbecue
RockPyle RockPyle is offline

Default Sunday fun

On Nov 8, 11:08*am, piedmont > wrote:
> Just started cooking three slabs of ribs, seasoned last night and took
> out of fridge early to bring up to room temp.,
>
> later I'll stoke up the grill and cook home made venison sausage, plus
> home made hot links, with common dogs for the lil' ones.
>
> Sides will be potato salad, collard greens, rolls, white cake for desert
> oh and deviled eggs.
> --
> Regards,
> piedmont
>
> http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

I had three slabs of spare ribs on the smoker yesterday as well. Wife
and son were coming back from a Boy Scout camping trip mid afternoon,
so I had the ribs scheduled to come off at 5 for dinner at 6. They
got to eat without me, as I was out playing basketball 6-8, but the
ribs were still nice and warm when I got back to a nice hunk o'smoked
meat!

Also made some sauce while the ribs were smoking. I have based the
sauce on the Memphis magic sauce recipe in Smoke and Spice. It is the
third time I have made this sauce and this first time I was patient
enough to cook it long enough that the sauce thickened enough.

I tripled the recipe so that I would have enough in the pan to
maintain a good simmer. With only 2 cups of liquid, it was hard to
keep a simmer going in such a small pot. With the batch I made
yeaterday, it was no problem. It took 40 minutes of cooking and
stirring, but in the end it coated the spoon nicely.

Recipe:

Sautee:
8 Tbsp butter
4 oz pureed garlic
2 Tbsp onion powder

Add:
3 cups white vinegar
3 cups tomato sauce
3/4 c Worcestershire sauce
3 Tbsp pork rub (paprika, salt, coriander, cumin, black pepper, brown
sugar)
1/2 tsp cayenne
3/4 cup sugar

simmer/boil 40 minutes. stirred almost constantly for last 20 minutes
(when the blooping of the boil starts to make a mess.

This recipe cooked down into about 30 ounces of sauce. Sweet enough
for my bride and spicy enough for me.

Rock