Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Dried chipotles

:

>> When I open a can of chipotles in adobo sauce, I use whatever I need

>out
>> of the can, then I freeze the rest. I place them on a sheet pan,
>> spooning the adobo sauce as evenly as possible on each one of the
>> peppers. After they are frozen, I scoop them up and freeze them in a
>> ziploc bag.

>Becca,
>
>That's exactlly the kind of product that should be in glass jars, imho.
>Except for restaurants, who in their own kitchen would use that whole
>little can? A jar would be too convenient.
>
>My brother once sent me a jar of probably 30 habaneros in a liquid
>(pickling juice). I put three slivers into a pot of m&c. It ruined the
>meal beyond repair. That jar sat in the fridge for about 5 years before I
>finally decided to throw it away. It still contained 29-2/3 habaneros.
>
>Best,
>
>Andy

Why not simply open the can and pour them into a glass jar and
refrigerate, if you intend to kep them more than about a month
add vinegar to cover and a little salt, screw on the cap and
refrigerate... I have jars of my homegrown jalapenos pickling in my
fridge at all times... I add garlic, herbs, and various spices. For
those who don't want to grow their own then buy fresh hot peppers at
your produce market and pickle them yourself... peckers of pickled
peppers don't get any easier.