Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Tutall Tutall is offline

Default Man, am I an efficient cook or what

On Nov 8, 12:40*am, " >
wrote:
> On Nov 7, 5:48*pm, Tutall > wrote:
>
> > > Weird how the times can range so much, isn't it? I once had a
> > > 9.5 lb brisket finish in under 4 hours at 250 F. I kid you not.

> Crap!! *Was this in your convection/microwave/gamma radiation cooker?
> You're talking less than 30 minutes a pound at 250 for beef? *Did it
> glow in the dark <kidding!>.
>

> Inquiring minds, you know.
>
> Robert

No no, how could I be offended at a question I wondered at myself.
Well, to answer, I haven't checked the thermo for a few years, but
when I did it was real tight. It's one of those real big ones with
the 3" face and quarter inch rod. But it's been used a lot. However,
it would have to be 50F low or more to account for the differences I
think.
My observations make me think it's can't be THAT far off. For
instance, I was trying to run the fire a bit cooler yesterday, I
usually use big pieces of oak, more meant for the fireplace than an
offset and tend to run a bit hot because of that.
Yesterday was mostly running almond so would have one branch mostly
coals starting the next 2-4" round log. And it was indicating as low
as 225 up to 260F, 275 when two of these logs were going decent when
the fire was like that. Which would seem to be about right.

And the same thermometer does me pretty good for ribs, about 4 hours
(sometimes more. went 7 hours once this summer) for full slabs at
under 275F mostly. Butts cook up faster than expected too, usually 5-6
hours for a 11lb boneless butt.

I wouldn't be too suprised at 25F low, but not much more, you think?