Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_3_] Brick[_3_] is offline

Default To clean or not to clean

On 8-Nov-2009, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Tutall" > wrote in message
> >
> > Was at the barber's recently and met a local pro who sells his 'Q for
> > a living. So, my cookers got a skin of smoke residue from a few
> > years os use and asked what is easy to use for cleaning. He thought I
> > should leave it be, that it's "seasoning".
> >
> > What say you old dogs? I don't feel that much of a need to clean.

> I just scrape the easy stuff one every year or two. Never to really bare
>
> metal.

I'm not exposed to the food gestapo, so I don't have to abide by any
obscure laws. My pit drains into a gallon bucket which I empty as it
gets full (3 or 4 times a year) and take to the recycle dock. I knock
any loose stuff off the inner top of the pit whenever I start a new cook.
I shovel out the bottom of the cook chamber perhaps twice a year.
--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)