Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default To clean or not to clean

"Tutall" > wrote in message

> Was at the barber's recently and met a local pro who sells his
> 'Q for
> a living. So, my cookers got a skin of smoke residue from a
> few
> years os use and asked what is easy to use for cleaning. He
> thought I
> should leave it be, that it's "seasoning".
>
> What say you old dogs? I don't feel that much of a need to
> clean.
>
> As an aside, he mentioned thinking of starting up a competitive
> BBQ
> team, He and the friends of his I know of are allright, am
> considering
> asking if I could help out.
>
> Yo Reg, you ever want to be on a weekend Q team?

Unless the crust interferes with closing the lid, I'd leave well
enough alone. If the build-up is so much that the lid won't seat
well, or if the crust touches the meat, then it's time for a
cleaning. IMHO, all you need is a steam Jenny and 1500psi to get
back to bare metal. I'd avoid chemicals like lye. If you don't
have tires or flammable parts to worry about, consider a gallon of
kerosene and a match to get back to bare metall

--
Nonny

You cannot make a stupid kid smart by
handing him a diploma. Schools need standards
to measure the amount of education actually
absorbed by children. Don't sacrifice the smart
kids to make the dumb ones feel good about themselves.