Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Attention Military Vets and Active duty personnel

"Jo Wolf" wrote

> There is one franchise that Does do it right for all active duty and
> vets in November, although not always on the 11th. This year it's on
> the 4th. Golden Corral, a buffet place... plain food done pretty
> well.... buffet dinner for free.... 5 PM to 8 or 9 PM. Of course, many
> will bring the significant other or the family... and busines is boosted
> for that day. However, in this area it's a pretty popular family place,
> anyhow, so lots of familiar customer faces will be seen all year.

Grin, actually a lot of them do it 'right' and us military (I'm now retired,
26 years Navy) appreciate it. I only mentioned a warning because not all
the offers are open everywhere.

I used to eat at a Golden Corral when I was a kid. It wasnt a buffet place
then though they had a pretty extensive salad bar with some soup choices.
Mostly I recall they did a decent simple steak for a quite reasonable price
that Mom could afford for all 4 of us.

Mom would take us out twice a year. My sister's birthday (in early
December) and the sorta conjoined one of me, my brother, and Mother's day
which always hits within 4-6 days of each other. We'd pick the center day
and do a sort of almost 'mini-Xmas' and call it Charlotte's day (for my
sister). We'd bring a gift for each person with us and unwrap them there
after ordering and while waiting for our meals. We'd get asked what was up
and explain it and they were always charmed and gave Mom the 'Mothersday'
meal deal (even if not there on that day) and all 3 of us kids the birthday
special (usually a free dessert). We'd sing happy birthday to each other
than a variation called 'Happy Mom's day' to Mom.