Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Attention Military Vets and Active duty personnel

"Dan Abel" wrote
>> "cshenk" wrote:

>> -->It's only for 'participating restraunts'. Ones in high military areas
>> like
>> -->Norfolk, 'aint participating'. A lot will go though thinking, 'free
>> main'

> Nothing about "participating" he
>
> http://www.applebees.com/vetsDay/default.aspx
>
> For those who are nervous (and I would be, since cshenk is a reliable
> source), there is a locator button on that page. At least for the US,
> put in your zip code, and you can get a phone number and hours, so you
> can call and verify. There's a button for international, and you can
> find the Canadian locations.

It's on the radio here when they advertize it. The guys at work were
talking about it. Apparently last year the Applebee's by the exchange was a
'non-player'.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great offer, but it would make sense to call
ahead a few days before and find out for sure. A lot of places have
specials that day, some not advertized. I remember one year, when my local
McDonalds on Veterans day was giving the senior citizens discount to any who
showed an ID card (Active, retired, or dependant).

Disneyland/world and alot of the amusement park type places have specials.
Here in my area now with so much military, offers often stipulate 'in
uniform' (Oviously active duty only). Deals can be anything from free, to
significantly reduced. So, if i take the family out that day, I'll probably
call around for the best deal. I can probably find a free meal for me and
Don (both retired) and a reduced price for Charlotte (dependant ID of 2
retirees and a minor still).

Last year I had to work that day (CWO watch) but Don went to his local bar,
and his first beer was free and his meal 1/2 price.