Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Muncie Bob Muncie is offline

Default Attention Military Vets and Active duty personnel

none of your business wrote:
> On Nov 6, 8:03 am, piedmont > wrote:
>> Applebees is giving away free entree to all military vet and active duty
>> personnel with ID or D214 to show as proof on Veterans Day Nov. 11, see
>> their website for details and menu. Seeyathere
>> --
>> Regards,
>> piedmont
>>
>> http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

> Still... haven't veterans given enough for their country? Why should
> they have to eat the crap at Applebee's?
> Given a choice of free "food" at Applebee;'s or paying for a decent
> meal... I'll pay for a decent meal.

You reminded me of a situation that proved to me the quality of the
people overseas that support the US intentions.

I was supporting a multi-national field exercise for NATO that was while
the Berlin wall was still up.

I was visiting a unit via an M880 (pretty hefty 1/2 ton pickup), to
support their communications effort.

They had left for the field in too short of order, and left without
enough rations to have dinner once they deployed.

Once I realized they didn't have food, I went to the nearest town, and
tried to buy enough dinners for the 12 souls that would have gone hungry.

The German folks at the establishment I found, would not only not let me
pay for the beer I had, they would not let me pay for the dozen
Schnitzel dinners I was buying for the small unit I was buying the
dinners for. *THAT* is an example of a community supporting the military
that was protecting their freedom. They gave me a definite refresher on
why I was there in support of them. I was proud at that moment.

I don't think the corporate franchises have our same interests in mind.

Bob