Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default Pinot Grigio

On Nov 6, 6:49*am, "Anders Tørneskog" >
wrote:
> "Steve Slatcher" > skrev i ...> Bobchai wrote:
>
> >>I never knew that pinot grigio
> >> was being grown extensively in Germany

> > It not unusual, but I am not sure how extensively it is grown. *It is
> > usually called Grauburgunder or, more traditionally, Ruländer. *Never
> > heard of one being sold as Pinot Grigio before.

> Wein-Plus lists Pinot Gris (with synonyms Grauburgunder and Ruländer) as
> comprising 4.3% of the growing area in Germany - 4.413 hectares - about
> 11.000 acres, I believe

One of the traditional better known regions for this grape in Germany
is in Baden. In modern times the dry versions tend to be sold as
Grauburgunder and the sweeter versions as Rulander. I don't know about
Europe outside of Germany, but this wine in the higher quality form
does not seem to be easily available in many areas of the US. I still
have a few bottles of Bickensohler Steinfelsen Rulander Auslese 1976.
It is a very rich sweet wine with great intensity of taste and smell
and considerable complexity.