Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy[_15_] Andy[_15_] is offline

Default Skirt steak substitute?

Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> "Ravenlynne" > wrote:
>
>> I'm making this recipe:
>>
>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...d-skirt-steak-

ch
>> urrasco-recipe/index.html
>>
>> It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
>> here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking for
>> this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

> I would. We can often find in on sale between $2.98 and $3.99 a
> pound, too. I imagine commissary prices are either the same or better.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

Flank steak is my favorite steak!

I only jaccard the steak to quick tenderize it and only salt and pepper
it and cook it on the BBQ grill to rare and it always tastes delicious.

I carve it paper thin across the grain at maybe a 20° angle from
horizontal so the slices look really taller than the steak actually was
and even more tender! I've always stopped just shy of drowning the slices
in melted butter.

Andy