Posted to alt.food.wine
Bobchai Bobchai is offline

Default Pinot Grigio

On Nov 5, 6:17*pm, dickr2 > wrote:
> I've had inexpensive Pinot Grigio in the past, and never
> thought too much about them until ...
> A recent dinner where we made Orange Roughy Amandine
> accompanied with white/wild rice, salad and biscuits.
> The wine: Avantgarde Pinot Grigio 2005 Rheinhessen from
> Germany. Alc. 12.5%
> I don't have any eloquent tasting notes, but the wine was
> superb with the fish, and I'll have to try more Pinot
> Grigio in the future. The wine was gifted to me and I don't
> think it was very expensive.
> BTW: The bottle is beautiful, green with a partial diamond
> shaped base and sides sloping up to the neck. I'm going to
> keep the bottle for flowers or as a decorator item.
> The unique bottle shape will be easy to spot at any wine
> shop.
>
> Dick in MN

Dick in MN:

Pinot grigio (known as pinot gris in France and America) is a white
wine with delicate aromas and flavors and at its best, it makes a
perfect food wine. To me it's not a particularly spectacular grape
like sauvignon blanc, but in Napa I'm more accustomed to powerhouse
wines (which don't necessarily go well with food).

What I most appreciate with pinot grigio is balance and finesse.
However, in warmer climates it often loses the charm of its fruit and
tastes rather bland and neutral. In California, it's almost a
disaster except in cool coastal districts. Oregon over the past ten
years has ripped out most of their chardonnay, which was always a
delight to me, in order to plant pinot gris. In fact, the state has
bet the farm on it. I think this was a mistake, but that's my personal
opinion.

I enjoy your recommendation. In fact, I never knew that pinot grigio
was being grown extensively in Germany, but cool continental climate
districts seem to make some exceptional pinot gris. You may find some
interesting pinot grigio from Austria and the bordering areas of
northern Italy, like Alto Adige.

Thanks for this post! I will seek out that wine.

--Bob