Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_3_] Brick[_3_] is offline

Default Sweet Potato Fries

On 3-Nov-2009, "Nunya Bidnits" >
wrote:

> Brick said:
> >
> > **I just did a batch of store bought frozen fries tonight. They had a
> > lot of ice crystals on them, so I gave them a short prefry to get rid
> > of the water before finallizing them at 375F. They were good as
> > usual. Just knowing about the little variables is a big help.

> That raises a good point. If you don't use an entire package of
> storebought
> frozen fries then unless you vac bag them, the remainder will always take
> on
> a lot of extra ice crystals in the fridge. They never seem to fry as well
> after that but I always attributed it to freezer burn. I think you hit on
> the real reason they don't fry up so well.
>
> I wish I could get my fryer to do a full 375F. (Waring Pro) The temp
> control
> maxes at 375 but testing it with a thermopen shows it really can't hold
> temps higher than 360-365. However most of my cooking is at lower temps
> so I
> didn't bother to take it back and complain.
>
> MartyB in KC

Pretend that you didn't read this. I took my Krupps deep fryer apart
and readjusted the themostat. It has a little bitty adjustment screw
that was sealed with a dab of plastic. I fiddled with it until I get it to
holding pretty well about 375F. I mostly only run it that high for
potatoes,
but they really like that higher heat. I used a big Taylor bulb type
thermometer as my reference. It works pretty good now.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)